Superfast broadband is a vital business tool that Combe Martin, Ilfracombe and Woolacombe require to remain competitive with towns and cities in Devon, the South West, the UK and across the world (see below).
Barnstaple and Bideford exchanges have been scheduled for upgrade to superfast broadband in 2013. Combe Martin, Ilfracombe and Woolacombe are not on the list . . . yet.
BT Openreach will only upgrade exchanges where it can prove there is commercial demand as it will take 12 years for it to recover its investment in the infrastructure.
If we want superfast broadband in Combe Martin, Ilfracombe and Woolacombe, the whole community has to show it needs it.
To do this, please take 10 minutes to take the four actions below NOW â€“ your participation is invaluable.
Take action now!
1. Register your requirement for superfast broadband at superfast-openreach.co.uk.
Registering does not commit you to taking the service or to any one supplier. Openreach does not sell direct to users, but resells via 500 retail suppliers including BT, Virgin and TalkTalk. You can register your residence and your business separately.
2. Register atÂ connectingdevonandsomerset.co.uk
If Combe Martin, Ilfracombe and Woolacombe are not upgraded by BT, Devon and County Councils are running a separate programme, Connecting Devon and Somerset, to connect those places left out. It is important to also register at this site.
3. Please add a comment below to say that you have registered on both sites.
4. Encourage your colleagues, friends and family to register.
Thank you. We understand that it is annoying to have to keep on filling in forms, but this issue is of vital importance to our local economy and our community needs to make its voice heard now.
Why do businesses need superfast broadband?
- Enables fast upload/download of large data/graphics/video files
- Enables video conferencing â€“ save a 120-mile round trip/3-hour drive to/from Exeter to see a client or attend a meeting
- Enables hotel guests and cafÃ© customers to use online services on their mobile devices as they would do in other towns and cities
- Enables real-time collaborative working on online documents â€“ the future of business meetings
Why do homes need superfast broadband?
- One family can download a movie, watch a TV programme, browse the internet and play online games simultaneously
- Download an entire music album in 30 seconds
- Download a feature-length HD movie in under 10 minutes